Maintenance & Divorce

Claiming Maintenance Outside South Africa

South Africa has reciprocal enforcement agreements with several countries, so maintenance can be claimed from a person living in those countries. Where one of the parties reside in a proclaimed country or territory under this agreement, the process of claiming maintenance between the two countries can be followed through diplomatic channels. It takes approximately 12 …

Claiming Maintenance Outside South Africa Read More »


Maintenance is the obligation to provide another person, for example a minor, with housing, food, clothing, education and medical care, or with the means that are necessary for providing the person with these essentials. This legal duty to maintain is called ‘the duty to maintain’ or ‘the duty to support’. A child must be supported or …

Maintenance Read More »